Classic Carbonara recipe

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hi! And you thought I would go into another one of those blogging break spells noh? Nah, just got busy these past few days.

Busy with my first ever corporate Sugafree shoes bazaar. Busy healing from my recent operation. Busy doing nothing. Busy with my fears. Busy thinking about the scary but wonderful changes that will happen real soon. And lastly, just busy praying a lot because I want God to take away my fear of changes.

Oh well, did that make sense to you? I bet my entire Louis Vuitton collection (which I do not have by the way --- yet! choz.) that it didn't. Hehe.

I've said it so many times that when I am happy I cook. When I am stressed I cook. When I am confused I cook. At any state of my id I like to cook.

So cook, I did yesterday. I prepared mustard-buttered breaded pork chops (will tell you about it too) paired with classic carbonara.

I have two carbonara recipes. The first one I've been making since I was innocent (read: highschool) is a filipinized carbonara (will post recipe of that soon). Filipinized because it has cream, bell peppers, onions, mushroom, etc. The Italian forefathers will roll over their grave if they had known what we've turned their carbona into. Hehe. It is still carbonara because well... it has bacon.

Anyway, what I am sharing with you today is the classic carbonara recipe. It has only 4 major ingredients apart from salt and pepper. And yes, if you have never cooked anything in your life, I would say this is a good dish to start with. This dish is so subtle, yummy and classy at the same time.

It is so easy that the sauce is no cook! How can you beat that?

So end with the yakking and let's start with the cooking shall we?

What you need:
 •250g picnic bacon cut into small strips
 •4 fresh egg yolks (use only very fresh eggs)
 •150g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
 •500g pasta (I suggest Angel hair or spaghetti)

What you need to do:
 1.Cook your pasta as per the packet instructions. If you are using Angel hair pasta (as I did) cooking will just be quick 4 - 5 mins while spaghetti usually takes about 7 - 8 minutes. (Important tip: salt the water as this is the only time you can put additional flavor to your pasta.)
2. Put the bacon in the pan (no need to put oil). Let the bacon render its own fat (as in lutuin sa sariling matika hehehe) and fry until it is browned but not too crisp. Set aside.
 3.Place the egg yolks and cheese in a large serving bowl, together with a generous grinding of black pepper. Mix well with a fork.
4.Drain the pasta, put this in the pan where you crisped the bacon first.
5. Remove pasta and bacon from pan. Add immediately to the cheese and egg mixture.

So easy right? Anyway here are the pictures to guide you too. :)

All you need is just four ingredients.

Slice the bacon like so.
I bought a block of bacon instead of buying the strips.
(Tip: if you are using bacon as a cooking ingredient, it is
cheaper to buy it in block.)

Use fork to mix egg, cheese and pepper.

I incorporated the noodles in the pan where I fried my bacon
so it absorbs all the fatty flavors of the bacon.
(My mantra in cooking: more fat more fun!)

The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs
and turn it into a creamy sauce.

Here's what it looks like on the plate.

My satisfied and poging endorser: kuya Keithy!


Happy Palm Sunday friends. Always live your passions!

3 comments:

Ro said...

I admire your commitment to blog, more so your commitment to blog about cooking. I imagine that you pause after every step to pick up your camera and snap a picture. The process is a joy to read. :)

i♥pinkc00kies said...

oh we bought those pasta noodles during SnR's sale!! :D

earthgirl said...

@i♥pinkc00kies: yes, all ingredients were from the SnR sale hehe. the pasta was buy 1 take 1 i think. =)

Post a Comment