Pork Steak Love

Thursday, March 1, 2012

The biggest reason I became depressed during the first few weeks of my Cohen diet was because I missed cooking for my family. I have boasted said here and here how awesome great stupendous good of a cook I am.

Today though I braved the kitchen once again and cooked. True, I encountered some minor kitchen accidents (I cut myself, natalsikan ng mantika and muntik nang madulas sa floor) but all of them worth it when I saw how happy my family was when they ate my pork steak.

I also got inspired recently through the
blog of my good friend Dits (short for "maldita": we call each other this - self explanatory). She writes really practical and yummy recipes.

Anyway here's my version of pork steak. Every household has their own recipe. Mine, I got from my mother-in-law.

Disclaimer: Sorry if my measurements are not too precise as I tend to always just eye-ball all the time when I am cooking (this is a testament that you are truly a great cook! Ha! Kidding. :P)

What you need:

1 kilo pork belly
2 cups soy sauce
5 - 6 pcs. calamansi (or lemon if you are sushal or dayap if you like tequila #walangsense)
5 pcs medium sized potatoes
1 pc white onion
3 cloves garlic (or more if you're into garlic)
salt
pepper
paprika
sugar (highly recommend to use mucovado because it's healthier)
2 tsp flour
2 tsp korean chilli powder (optional: for that extra oomph)
Oil for frying

What you need to do:

1) First marinate the pork using the soy sauce, salt, pepper, paprika, calamansi. Recommended time is about 2 hours or you can leave it over night.

Since I didn't have much time when I cooked this, I marinated it only for 15 minutes and they still turned out okay.

Porkies in their marinade





2) Thinly slice the potatoes using good old knife or mandolin if you have (taray!). Fry until light golden brown. Put on top of paper towels to drain excess oil and set aside.


Sliced potatoes and onions




 After frying the potatoes they would look like this:



Be sure to prepare some extra potatoes because some loved ones (case in point the hubby) would use it as a snack. Just sprinkle some salt and they make a pretty yummy snack. :)



3) Sear the pork using the same oil and pan. Just brown both sides (about 1-2 minutes per side). No need to cook through the pork as they will be cooked again later. Set aside the pork.

4) Remove excess oil in the pan. Sautee the garlic on the same pan.

5) Return the pork into the pan and stir fry. (I think this is what our mommy's call "sinangkutcha".)

6) Pour the marinade back into the pan. Add about 2 cups of water (or until the pork is covered). Bring to a boil for about 20 minutes or until the pork is fork tender.

7) When the water has reduced to about 1/2, put the onions (sliced into rings). Incorporate the onions to the sauce and this is when you also adjust the taste of your sauce. Add salt, pepper, sugar and korean chilli powder. 

8) Dissolve the flour into a small amount of hot water. Once fully dissolved add this to the sauce. (Tip: Do not add the flour directly into the mixture as you might end up with lumps on the sauce.)

9) Once the overall taste is to your liking already, add the fried potatoes. Mix so that the potatoes absorb the sauce. (Do not overmix as the potatoes might start to break.)

End product.



Aminin. Magaling akong mag describe. I should write a cookbook na! Haha. Feeling. I am ever so excited to finish my diet already so as not to eat but so I can start cooking and experimenting with dishes again.

One day to go and it's weekend na. Yupeee! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment